The Pats' 2009-10 goalie situation presents another unique situation (sorta like last season)... You have the 20-year old starter in Linden Rowat, 18 year old back-up Damien Ketlo, 17 year old "next in line" Derek Tendler, Top Alberta midget goalie Dawson Guhle and little discussed Cory Nygaard.
6'2", 181 lbs.
June 27, 1989
Acquired: 3rd round, 42nd overall in 2004
NHL Draft: L.A. Kings 5th round selection 124th overall in 2007
- Looking more and more like he may be back in the WHL next season as the LA Kings didn't sign him. I did a little bit of digging and the Ontario Reign of the ECHL protected his rights when they submitted their protected lists found here. So he may actually be a pro next year. One thing I've learned from Rowat is that he is a very consistent goalie... consistently inconsistent. I thought last year would have been his break-out season but having a 3 goalie carousel at the start of the season seemed to really hurt his confidence (from a fan's perspective anyway). I think it took the brass too long to make up their minds as to what they wanted done. I think he's a good goalie but I think he has wore his welcome out in Regina (we seem to be hard on our players here in Regina... hmmm). I do think he is the Pats best option for right now (although I did raise a few questions). Unless he is traded I believe that he will be penciled in as the Pats starter going into camp/season..... BUT that also depends on the other 20's this year as the Pats have a decent crop this year.
6'1", 180 lbs.
January 26, 1991
Fort Fraser British Columbia
Acquired: 10th round, 203rd overall in 2006
- I'm sorry but in all honesty I really can't say I like Ketlo and his play (I don't have an answer as to why, I really don't). I do have to say that he is a pretty good technical goalie that is very good down low... but does have a questionable blocker hand (very similar to Rowat). I did think he was a capable back-up but ready to start? I don't know. He's a battler that fought hard with a questionable d in front of him at times last year. I do think he will be okay if thrust into the starters role.
5'11", 201 lbs.
January 1, 1992
Acquired: 5th round, 98th overall in 2007
- I don't know about anyone else reading this but I think Derek is the best goalie (I have seen) in the Pats system and WILL make this team in some respect this year. He's a very sound goalie but won't light the world on fire with his flair. He has been playing for the Pat C's for the last 2 years. In his first year he won the top goalie and last year keeping the team competitive. Will be fine as part 1[a] or 1[b] until he is anointed the Pats starter.
|Regina Pat Canadians||SMAAAHL||32||1912||2.29||0.918||3|
5'11", 160 lbs.
October 15, 1992
Acquired: listed player
- I know very little about him but he was the top goalie in the AMHL this past season with a 2.02 GAA and a .922 SV%. If he comes into camp he could very well put the Pats in a conundrum.
|Sherwood Park Kings||AMHL||24||1396||2.02||0.922||0|
5'11", 150 lbs.
April 8, 1993
Acquired: 6th round, 127th overall in 2008
- Doesn't have mind-blowing numbers playing midget hockey in Manitoba. But surprises happen.
|Norman Northstars||Manitoba MAAA||44||n/a||3.83||n/a||n/a|
5'10", 140 lbs.
Sept. 11, 1994
Acquired: 10th round, 208th overall in 2009
- Can't officially make the squad until 2010-11 but his bantam numbers in Chicago were AMAZING.... 1.18 GAA .939 SV% and 12 shutouts in 31 games. Impressive!
|Chicago Mission||USA Bantam AAA||31||n/a||1.18||.939||12|
My Projected Depth Chart (not taking into affect the overage situation):
4. Guhle (only because I know so little about him and his WHL aspirations)
6. Robinson (just due to age)
My Projected Depth Chart (overage situation handled):
1 (a). Ketlo
1 (b). Tendler
3. Guhle (only because I know so little about him and his WHL aspirations)
5. Robinson (just due to age)
But then again, I'm just a fan making my own observations. But I am going to make a bold prediction...... Derek Tendler will be the Pats starter by the end on the 2009-10 season.